Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust which runs the Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth is one of the largest employers in Portsmouth and QA is one of the busiest hospitals in the country. We play an active role in supporting staff and patients to stop smoking completely.
The harmful effects of smoking are clear. We have signed the NHS Smoke Free Pledge – a commitment to reducing tobacco-related harm and helping smokers to quit. But we are planning to go a step further.
As part of our commitment to helping prevent ill health and supporting people to improve their health and wellbeing, QA hospital will be a smoke-free site from 14th January 2019.
Children and young people make up around one fifth of the UK’s population. Improving their health and wellbeing is an investment in future generations, the prosperity of this country and sustainability of the NHS.
We want to protect children from the harmful effects of second-hand smoke by enabling parents and carers to quit for good and to discourage children from taking up smoking.
Our Smoke Free, ‘We share clean air’ campaign can provide teachers the perfect backdrop to support existing curriculum and programmes for children and young people. It will also provide opportunities for young people to feel involved and support their local community, their local hospital and the NHS.
We have launched a drawing and writing competition for children of different age groups across Hampshire, which we hope will form part of lessons or tasks delivered as part of the curriculum including personal, social, health and economic education (PSHE) .
1. Competition 1: Drawing competition for 4-10 year olds
What: Create an A4 poster that shows why smoking is bad for your health or why you think that people should quit smoking for good.
2. Competition 2: Writing competition for 11-16 year olds
What: In no more than 300 words, tell us why people should quit smoking for good. This could be in the form of a poem, a story or a personal experience.
Deadline for submission: 21st December 2018
Submissions via email to: email@example.com
Or by post to:
De La Court Building, Queen Alexandra Hospital
Southwick Hill Road
Cosham, PO6 3LY
1. Winners will be announced at the Queen Alexandra Hospital at a special ceremony which will be put on the Trust’s social media.
2. Winning entries will be publicised around the hospital and a press release will be submitted to all interested groups.
3. The News will write an article on the winners and also promote the winning entries in the newspaper and on their social media.
4. Winners will receive either a bag of goodies (Competition 1) or a Love to Shop voucher (Competition 2)